The book is intended for professionals like you. You have some familiarity with cause analysis projects, but you’re looking for a simple and efficient cause investigation methodology – a more effective and insightful way of asking “why?”
Follows the Cause Road Map
The author provides a comprehensive taxonomy for every cause investigation. Supporting his instructions with diagrams, charts, and real-world examples from companies like yours, he takes you step-by-step through planning, completing, and documenting your investigation:
- Chapter 1 helps you determine the level of effort that your investigation will require, assess the level of effort needed, and determine the rigor needed. Your investigation needs to be as risk-informed as possible
- Chapters 2 through 5 offer a new and innovative structure – rigorous yet intuitively easy to remember – to identify the underlying causes for the event (Cause Road Maps) and conduct the investigation.
- Chapter 6 introduces conceptual human performance models that will allow you to begin focusing on the human behaviors involved.
- Chapters 7 and 8 present you with methods, tools, and techniques for carefully interviewing personnel.
- Chapters 9 through 13 “put the pieces together,” guiding you to analyze and model the event, determine corrective action, and document the investigations and findings.
Free Interactive Cause Analysis Tool
To fully implement Rowe’s Cause Road Map, you will need other tools to organize, analyze, and present the final results of your investigation. The author includes his downloadable Interactive Cause Analysis Tool – an easy-to-use tool in familiar spreadsheet format – free with your verified purchase of the book. The Interactive Cause Analysis Tool functions include:
- Help managing your cause investigation efforts.
- Providing supporting documentation for your report.
- Aiding in presenting the results.
- Structuring and sequencing of corrective action recommendations.
- Help assessing your organization’s Safety Culture.
“There are already many scientific tools to help us understand the physical causes for machine failures; the challenge now is to find a way of investigating human performance failure modes… humans are often a major source of slips, lapses, and mistakes.” – Chester D. Rowe
This book is an ideal support tool for Cause Analysis professionals working as Managers of Plant Engineering, Managers of Nuclear Engineering, Managers of Design Engineering, Plant Managers, Outage Managers, Managers of Nuclear Assurance (Quality Assurance), Materials (Supply/Procurement) Managers, Managers of Operator Training, Managers of Support Training, Managers of Human Resources, Senior Engineers and other Senior level personnel working or supporting these groups.
2018, 240 pages PLUS downloadable Interactive Cause Analysis Tool (on registration).